While we’re kids, we read books for multiple reasons. Kids read because it’s entertaining or they read because they were told to read. In my opinion, that’s the number one thing adults will tell children. Reading everyday is always best for you. During young childhood, we read these elementary level books, but when we get older, we don’t want to read them again because it’s too easy. That’s okay, but trying to forget books you read while you were much younger isn’t the right choice. Reading books can be memorable. You might love a specific book when you were younger, but you don’t want to ignore it the rest of your life. I think it’s important to remember books you read at a younger age because it may be cherishing and memorable. But if you hated it, there’s no need to remember it. Keep the precious memories of loveable books with you. Don’t try to forget them.
When I was in fourth grade, I saw the movie, “The Lord of the Rings”, so I wanted to read the book. When my teacher found out that I was reading that trilogy, she said I couldn’t read it anymore because it was above my reading level. Actually, I don’t disagree with the fact that the book is too hard for me. Any ELA teacher will try to get kids to read books their own level, so it’s not too hard or too easy for them to read. So then, for the next four to five years, I tried to read books that were easier for me just so I can keep up with my reading level. But unfortunately, I’ve been trying a little too hard on reading books that are easier than, let’s say, “Lord of the Rings” because I’m currently in eighth grade, and now, I’m being told I’m reading books that are far to easy for my reading level.
Let’s take the book “Holes” by Louis Sachar, for example. This is one of the best stories ever told to me, but I haven’t read the books since I was about six years old. (Well, my father read it to me. It was like a bed time story) When I was younger, I loved the book for it’s entertainment, but I didn’t fully appreciated it for it’s excellent literature. That’s why I want to read the book again. I want to relive the past when I read this book, but enjoy it for a different reason. I really wanted to know what I thought about this book since I’m an older person. Would I still love it for it’s entertainment or would I love it because it’s so well written? But now, since I found out that Holes is below my reading level, I can’t read the book. I’ve been told to read a book that’s more challenging because when I get into high school, where my ELA teachers will probably smother me with reading assignments that include reading a book that’s harder than Holes, I would be prepared. Like said before, I don’t disagree that teachers are making me read challenging books. They want me to feel ready for high school, which is perfectly fine. I just don’t want to be limited with the types of books I read.
What I’m trying to say is that there should be nothing wrong with reading books that are below your level. It should never be a problem. If the book took a unique perspective on your childhood memory that’s related to reading, remember to read it again when your older. Memories won’t last forever if you won't care about them. It’s important to relive the past when it comes to books. Like the book Holes. It’s an amazing book and that’s why I wanted to read it again. I don’t care if it’s below my reading level because no matter what, the book is memorable and special to me. It’s good to try to read books that’s just right for your reading level, but don’t use the system to limit the types of books you read.
No comments:
Post a Comment